Medicaid provides medical benefits to low-income individuals and families. Although the federal government establishes the general rules for Medicaid, specific requirements are established by each state. In Louisiana, over a million residents receive health care coverage through Medicaid, most of whom are children under 19. The Louisiana Medicaid Program operates within the Louisiana Department of Health.
- Long Term Care
- Medicaid Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM)
- Medical Care Advisory Committee
- Medicare Savings Program
- MMIS (Medicaid Management Information Systems)
- Pharmaceutical and Therapeutics Committee
- Rate Setting and Audit Section
Do I qualify for Medicaid?
Medicaid eligibility is determined using the Federal Poverty Level income guidelines. Click here to review information about this. (See also Monthly Income Limits for Medicaid Programs page)
In Louisiana, you qualify to receive Medicaid if you:
- Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from the Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Get financial help from the Office of Family Support (OFS) through the Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP)
You may also qualify for Medicaid coverage if you:
- Are disabled according to the Social Security Administration’s definition
- Have corrected vision no better than 20/200
- Are a low-income parent of children under age 19
- Are a child under age 19
- Are pregnant
- Have no insurance and need treatment for breast and/or cervical cancer
- Receive Medicare coverage and are low-income
How Do I Apply?
There are several ways you can apply for Medicaid or get more information:
1. Apply now or renew coverage for any Medicaid program by visiting the Louisiana Medicaid Online Application (OLA). Once you submit the online application, it is sent immediately to the Medicaid office for processing, and there is no delay for mailing or faxing a paper form.
2. Call the Medicaid hotline toll free at 1.888.342.6207 for help applying. Agents are accepting calls Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
3. Contact any Medicaid Application Center statewide.
4. Download and print a Medicaid application and then mail or fax it to Medicaid at:
P.O. Box 91278
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-9278
5. Contact your local Medicaid office for help applying.
Please click here to ask a question about any of the Medicaid programs.
What You Need to do if You Have Health Insurance Through the Marketplace and Get Help Paying Your Insurance Premiums:
- When you get Medicaid you MUST stop your Marketplace plan.
- If you do not stop your Marketplace plan you may have to pay a penalty when you file your tax return next year.
- Call 1-800 318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) right away. Tell them you have Medicaid and you want to stop your Marketplace health insurance.
See Medicaid Resources
Click here to see Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to visit the Medicaid Forms Library
Please click here to see reports, publications, enrollment statistics and other resources from Louisiana Medicaid.
Click here to go to Louisiana Health Finder, to locate providers, find kids' health information and prescription drug prices.
Click here to see a list of services.
Click here to see a directory listing of Medicaid leadership.
Click here to Medicaid Organizational Chart