Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant
- The health needs of communities are diverse, complex, and constantly changing.
- The Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant gives grantees the resources to fill funding gaps in programs that deal with leading causes of death and disability, as well as the ability to respond rapidly to emerging health issues.
- The PHHSBG provides all 50 states, the District of Columbia, two American Indian tribes, and eight U.S. territories with funding to address their own unique public health needs and challenges in innovative and locally defined ways.
Public Hearing Notice
June 29, 2018
Subject: Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant; 2018-19 Federal Fiscal Year Work Plan
Louisiana Department of Health
Bienville Building, Meeting Room 372
628 N. Fourth Street
Baton Rouge, LA
- Overview of the PHHSBG
- PHHSBG Advisory Committee
- 2011 PHHS Block Grant Proposed Work Plan
- Healthcare Acquired Infections State Plan
- Success Stories
- PHHSBG Links:
Congress authorized the PHHS Block Grant in 1981 to give states the "autonomy and flexibility to tailor prevention and health promotion programs to their particular needs." The PHHS Block Grant is awarded through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
In Louisiana, the grant allows the state to use dollars to address urgent health needs, assure access to preventive health services, and enhance surveillance in order to deal with unexpected outbreaks such as West Nile Virus, address emerging health threats i.e., foreign drywall and target resources to populations at high risk for disease and injury.
Louisiana receives $2,899,747 and uses these funds to address initiatives across broad priorities of health concerns. The PHHSBG is administered by the Department of Health and Hospitals, Office of Public Health.
Healthy People 2010 Funded Initiatives:
- Emergency Medical Services
- Environmental Epidemiology and Toxicology
- Fluoridation - Oral Health
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology
- Injury Research and Prevention
- Rape Crisis Program (Sex Offense Set Aside)
- Sexually Transmitted Disease
- Tuberculosis Control
- Vital Records and Statistics - Health Care Data Clearinghouse